I think there’s an old song that starts off like that.
Anyway, I hope your summer has been a good one so far – slow start and all – weather-wise.
And if you’re a lot like the most of us, a “staycation” seems to be a popular option this year: local trips, going to the beach, etc. Spending more time at home is a perfect chance to jump into an organizing project that you “never find time” to do. Here are a few ideas that will help you get organized for the rest of the summer and even into the fall.
If you have only an hour
Create more space. Go to a consignment store, charity thrift store or even the dump and get rid of all the things that you no longer need. Check your:
– kitchen cabinets and fridge
– toiletries and medicine cabinet
– junk drawer and shopping bag collection
– “to do” pile of papers
– top drawer of desk
One day/rainy day projects
May take a little longer. But worth the time. Out with the old!
– Kitchen: clean out junk drawer, refrigerator, cabinets and cleaning supplies.
– Living area: hang art work, organize books, DVDs videos, games and toys.
– Bedroom: organize closets, shoes and handbags, change hangers, excavate under the bed.
– Miscellaneous: organize linen closet, tools and all those nails and stuff. Put up shelves.
A few hours a day should get you through these areas but it could take up to a week, depending on how bad things are.
– Files: start shredding!
– Photos: put into albums
– CDs: load onto iPod
– Home Office
– Kid’s rooms
That’s it for now.
I hope these tips can help you create some order in your space. At times it can be confusing. Even overwhelming. Where do you start?
Why not call or email me for a free consultation?
If you or someone you know in the New York or Boston area is looking for design help and a rethink on solving their space, please keep me in mind.
Feel free to forward my information to others who might benefit from my services.
Have a great rest of the summer and let’s stay in touch.